Why Sustainability Matters for Your Office
Sustainability and human-centered design should be priorities in the modern office now more than ever. Environmentally friendly actions have the potential to create a substantial impact in the fight against climate change, and they can also offer workers real benefits in the office.
But what does it mean to be sustainable? And what choices can businesses make to increase wellbeing and balance in their office and world? Keep reading to learn more.
What Does it Mean to Be Sustainable?
The term “sustainable” is often used as a marketing gimmick without actually being reflected in a company’s manufacturing practices or core values. True sustainability requires that organizations leave the world in a better place than how they found it, and this includes everything from product design and packaging to manufacturing, labor, water use, and more.
For companies like ZGO Solutions that take sustainability seriously, there are international sustainability standards handed down by international governing bodies to ensure such practices. The Business and Institutional Furniture Manufacturers Association (BIFMA) sets furniture sustainability standards to ensure products meet certain requirements that qualify them as “sustainable.” BIMFA standards also measure impacts on health and wellness, the environment, and social settings.
Some of these sustainability requirements include:
- The recyclability of the product’s components
- Hazardous chemical use
- Furniture emissions
- The components used to create the furniture
- Labor source, including involuntary or child labor
- The manufacturer’s fair hiring practices
- Safety performance
At ZGO Solutions, we take sustainability and social impact seriously. We consider hundreds of factors as we work hard to build you high-quality, environmentally conscious desks and tables.
How to Incorporate Sustainable Design in Your Office
Making sustainable, eco-friendly choices might seem daunting at first if it’s a new initiative for your company. However, when you have the tools you need to make decisions that align with your priorities, funding sustainable solutions becomes a standard practice.
Here are a few ways to implement sustainable practices in your office:
- When you’re buying furniture, choose sustainably manufactured pieces that are certified by governing boards like the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), Greenguard Environmental Institute (GEI), BIFMA, and more.
- Use a sensor-based lighting system that automatically turns the lights off when no one is in the room.
- Make the most of your office’s natural light. Not only will this save on energy costs and reduce your carbon footprint, but natural light is also a proven mood-booster for employees.
- Make space for your team to make sustainable choices. Simple measures like investing in office recycling bins, creating safe spaces to park bikes, and composting to reduce food waste can go a long way.
When you create a company culture that is focused on sustainability, it becomes progressively easier to adapt and make sustainable changes. Using smart energy consumption, recycling, and investing in sustainable products will feel like second nature when the whole team is on board.
RELATED: 6 Ways to Create a More Sustainable Office
Sustainability Is at the Heart of Everything We Do
At ZGO Solutions, we believe that sustainability begins when people are in balance with their workplaces and their world. For us, investing in sustainable design is a way of life that we’re proud to share with our community and customers.
Because Zen principles and sustainability represent our core values, they inform how we design and build our desks, tables, and desking solutions.
- Our desks are designed to last, and when they do reach the end of their lives, the components are highly recyclable. We reuse 100% of the steel and aluminum we manufacture. Every part that is not used when manufacturing product is either reused, reprocessed, or resold to third-party vendors.
- Our production plant follows strict water use standards. We have made significant investments in wastewater treatment systems in both our factory and office. At ZGO, we believe in contributing to a circular economy — what we take from the world must be replaced.
- By implementing SA8000® Standard practices, we treat our employees with dignity and respect at every point in the manufacturing process. The SA8000® Standard helps secure ethical working conditions for millions of workers globally. Established by Social Accountability International, the SA8000® Standard leverages the power of businesses and consumers to purchase products or services from workplaces that enrich the livelihoods of people (Certificate no. CN-SA-200113).
- We design our products to support users’ health and wellness. The core design of our products is to promote wellbeing within the work environment by allowing users to regularly change positions and adjust their posture for comfort and wellness.
Looking for a Sustainable Desking Solution? Meet the Zen Desk Line
When you need a sustainably manufactured desking option that you can feel good about, look no further than our Zen collection. Our passion for design, wellness, and sustainability come together in the Zen desk, and with smart technology integrations and a variety of intuitive designs, you’ll find the perfect desk for your unique needs.
Build Your Sustainable Office With ZGO Solutions
Are you ready to create a balanced, sustainable office that supports the health and wellness of your team and the planet? At ZGO Solutions, we specialize in creating desks that equip your team with the tools they need to stay in balance and reduce your environmental footprint. To learn more about our Zen collection and other office solutions, contact us today!
Business + Institutional Furniture Manufacturer’s Association. (2019). ANSI/BMFA e3-2019 Furniture Sustainability Standard. Grand Rapids, MI.